It is no secret that women are grossly underrepresented in video games. Even when they are present, they tend to be damsels in distress that the male protagonist needs to rescue or protect. However, things have been changing for a while now, especially since the number of female gamers has been increasing steadily over the last couple of decades. Hence it is only fair that we do a run-down of five of my favorite female video game characters who broke the traditional mold by being total badasses:
- Lightning (Final Fantast XIII): Fans of the Final Fantasy saga have been experiencing the evolution of female gaming characters for a couple of decades now. Lightning, who was introduced in Final Fantasy XIII, is the queen of badassery. On one hand she is gorgeous and her movements are extremely graceful. However, when push comes to shove, she is more than a handful in a fight sequence as she is incredibly fast and surprisingly powerful!
- Elena Fisher (Uncharted): Yes, Nathan Drake is the main character of Uncharted series (which just happens to be one of my favorites) but Elena Fisher, his soul-mate is no typical dame. She is a foreign news correspondent who does not hesitate reporting from the front-lines. In several fight sequences in the Uncharted series, she is has proved to be more than an able ally!
- Alyx Vance (Half-Life 2): Gordon Freeman, the main character of Half-Life 2 does not talk much, which would make the post-apocalyptic world even more tedious. This made the presence of Alyx Vance especially refreshing. Her wit and humor seemed like a breath of fresh air in what is a really depressing game! She also has a no-nonsense approach when the mutants appear, which is incredibly helpful!
- Jade (Beyond Good and Evil): Jade is a mix of Nathan Drake and Elena Fisher. She can solve puzzles, help raise public awareness about rare species in the wildlife, protect an orphanage, expose a corrupt government, while beating up baddies every step of the way! But unlike Drake and Elena, she does not do it for fame or money, but only because she thinks that it’s the right thing to do! This is one of the main reasons why Jade will always be one of my favorites!
- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider): Ah, Lara Croft, my absolute favorite. She is the first female video game protagonist that I played as. She has been around for decades and she is the quintessential action chick! She has drop-dead gorgeous looks, an expert with all sorts of weapons and is a true survivalist.
So the above are five of my favorite female badasses from video games, with honorable mentions going to Commander Shepherd from the Mass Effect series and Jill Valentine from the Resident Evil series. Do you agree? Are there any of your favorites that I have missed? Feel free to let us know in the comments below!